What Is Eco Sports Secret (Not So Secret) Eco Friendly Vegan Leather?
TPU is gaining a lot of traction for its amazing qualities and eco friendly properties.
Here are 5 things to know about TPU
- TPU is Biodegradable (3-5 years) & Recyclable
- TPU can be recycled & used to create additional raw materials, including more TPU
- TPU does not contribute to pH changes in soils or groundwater during the biodegrading process
- TPU is Wear & Tear & Water Resistant which allows end-products to hold up appearance even with regular and extensive use
- TPU is safe 4 kids as it does not use rubber accelerators and plasticizers that can cause skin irritation or dermatitis. (BPA, Phthalates, & Lead Free)
- Bonus: TPU reduces the amount of resources needed meaning less waste & energy required for each ball
What Does TPU Stand For & What is Thermoplastic Polyurethane?
Biodegradable thermoplastic polyurethane, or TPU, is often considered a cross between rubber and plastic, as it has characteristics of both raw materials. It has the softness and flexibility of rubber, but the low toxicity of production and high strength of plastic. Because of both its flexibility and durability, TPU has applications in a wide range of industries.
In contrast to rubber and plastic, one of the primary advantages of TPU is that it is also recyclable and biodegradable, making it an ideal choice for raw materials for environmentally conscious manufacturers. Many consumer goods made from traditional materials are often not recyclable and therefore are sent to landfills at the end of their usable lives, and unfortunately, this is not sustainable over time. TPU on the other hand, is environmentally friendly and offers manufacturers an alternative, allowing manufacturers and individuals to reduce their environmental waste.
Is TPU Eco Friendly, Recyclable, & Biodegradable?
Is TPU Toxic? Products made from TPU can be recycled into primary chemical components which can then be used to create additional raw materials, including more TPU. In addition, products made with TPU are biodegradable and can be fully broken down in approximately three to five years. Another key advantage is that TPU is non-toxic, and when it biodegrades, it does not contribute to pH changes in soils or groundwater during the biodegrading process.
Uses of TPU in Sporting Goods
TPU has many practical applications for various industries and is already found in products such as medical devices, automotive parts, inflatable rafts and footwear. Its durability and strength make it an ideal material for producing sporting goods that are subject to frequent hits, passes and bounces, and are exposed to a variety of indoor and outdoor stresses. Additional characteristics of TPU provide numerous advantages for sporting goods, including the following:
- Wear and abrasion resistant; will not show scratches or scrapes, or show age over time
- Lightweight and pliable; perfect for forming into non-rigid shapes such as balls and other sports equipment
- UV resistant; will not fade in sunlight
- Water and moisture resistant; holds up well outdoors in inclement weather
- Resistant to stains; allows end-products to hold up appearance even with regular and extensive use
- Resistant to high temperatures; will not melt or warp if exposed to high heat
Together these characteristics of TPU help meet manufacturer and customer expectations for high quality sporting goods products that will hold up well over time, and can be used both indoors and outdoors.
Benefits of Using TPU in Manufacturing
TPU is easily processed and relies on the use of core ingredients that do not deplete important natural resources. The result is a reduction in the amount of material required per product, benefitting manufacturers with lower processing and material costs, less waste during the manufacturing process, and a reduction in the the amount of energy required to produce each end-product. Because of these advantages, TPU has the potential to play a critical role in addressing many current environmental challenges in the manufacturing industry.
Eco Sports & Its Commitment to the Environment
Eco Sports is committed to encouraging sustainability by using environmentally responsible materials and reducing waste. EcoSports offers a full line-up of eco-friendly products made from TPU that offer the same quality and performance of products made with traditional materials, but with less waste. By using TPU in its manufacturing, EcoSports’ products are not only recyclable and biodegradable but also contribute to making our natural resources last longer. Buying EcoSports products can therefore be an important part of anyone’s plan to reduce their carbon footprint and maintain a greener lifestyle.
Is TPU Safe For Kids VS. PU/PVC Leather
YES! TPU does not use rubber accelerators and plasticizers that can cause skin irritation or dermatitis. TPU is a great material that is soft and long lasting. Plus it has the added element of being free of all toxic chemicals. TPU has a wide variety of uses including tubing, medical devices, sporting goods, cable, running shoes, wire and other industrial products. It is the optimal replacement for PU, Leather, PVC & EVA and the best part is that it is 100% NON Toxic making it safe for kids and safe for the planet. PU, PVC, & Composite Leather are toxic and have been known to cause respiratory & dermatitis problems for kids. CHOOSE ECO!